by Jay Hiller, December 6, 2022
I considered being lazy tonight and just posting an “If exercise were a pill…” quote. I tried looking it up and it turns out there were a lot of variations of it. There’s no doubt that exercise is very very good for us. Here are some thoughts about exercise:
- I do some of my best thinking when I’m swimming or running. My husband calls it a gentle agitation. It’s emotionally calming and intellectually stimulating at the same time.
- It’s fun to try new things and to challenge yourself physically in different ways.
- Being physically fit provides self-confidence. It’s good to be able to get one’s 60-year-old self on and off the floor without difficulty. It’s good to be able to lift heavy things and stand steadily on one leg. It’s good to be able to move across a busy campus in a reasonable amount of time.
- There are only a cajillion different forms of exercise and all of them are good for us in one way or another. If you think you don’t enjoy physical exercise, I challenge you to rethink that. There’s something out there for everyone.
- Exercising can be a solitary activity that provides an oasis in the middle of an overstimulating day or a group activity that provides a chance to connect with other people at the end of a lonely one.